A National Congress of the Ogoni people organised under the auspices of the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People (MOSOP) was held at the Peace and Freedom Centre, Bori-Ogoni on Saturday, January 16, 2016. It was attended by over ten (10) thousand Ogoni people including traditional rulers, students, academics, traders, farmers, fisherfolks, professionals, youths and women.
It was summoned to update the Ogoni people on recent developments in the land, deliberate on security challenges and other developmental issues affecting the Ogoni people and to set the agenda for the year 2016.
At the end of the deliberations, the following communique was issued:
1. The congress expresses its deepest appreciation to the Ogoni people for their massive support and participation in the last Ogoni Day Celebration on 4th January 2016
2. Congress noted with deep satisfaction, the leadership of the MOSOP President, Mr. Legborsi Saro Pyagbara and unanimously passed a vote of confidence on him. It called on sons and daughters of Ogoniland including supporters of the Ogoni struggle to continue to give him their maximum support and cooperation.
3. Congress called on all Ogoni sons and daughters to desist from promoting divisive actions in the land but work assiduously and concertedly to protect the collective interest of the Ogoni people.
4. Congress welcomes the peace initiative by some elders and call on all those concerned to cooperate with the process of peace.
5. Congress appeals to President Muhammadu Buhari and the Federal Government of Nigeria to speed up the setting up of the necessary structures for the take-off of the implementation of UNEP report on Ogoniland.
6. Congress decried the present situation of communal conflicts and restiveness in some Ogoni communities and charged the youths and traditional rulers to join in the MOSOP campaign for peace and good neighbourliness as the ultimate strategy for the protection of our communities.
7. Congress charged Ogoni people to remain vigilant , resilient, peaceful, calm and continue to give their unalloyed support to MOSOP
Issued at Bori-Ogoni, this 16th day of January, 2016
Anthony M. Porole